I am currently supposed to be cleaning my room, because it is atrocious and the parentals will be here briefly tomorrow, so they can't see how I really live ;-) I also should be working off some of that spring break goodness that I partook of, but hey, I'm gonna blog instead- so there!
Ok, so I'm gonna tell you a little story about spring "break." It started Sunday morning at 3am when I drove up to Sanford to pick up my fellow road-trippers, aka Kristin, Jessica, and James. We loaded the car with the rest of our stuff, went to get gas, and thus began our little road trip.
Jessica took the first shift, because I was on duty the night before, and thus, I only got a wee bit of a nap before we left. We switched somewhere in North Carolina, and I drove the rest of the way to Point Pleasant. We decided to drive through DC on the way- ok, that's a lie, we missed the bypass and ended up getting a lovely tour of the city- we used our astute directional abilities to find 95 again (our logic= "just take roads that go north and end in -95"- hey, it worked!) I think we got to Point around 4:30- we so totally rock :-) We went to my aunt's house first. It was so good to be back there- it's been way too long- I missed it a lot. And the best part is that I got to see my twin, and she is awesome! We watched the dog do tricks and were amazed at the amount of saliva that could be produced by a single creature. Then we hit the book store for a "private-opening" because we are special. Kristin is going to live there. In the back room. And read. All day. Then we went to the beach- see, we weren't that untraditional- we did the beach... even though we didn't swim... and there were remnants of snow... But we played ski ball, which was awesome, because back in the day, I used to be the ski ball champion- for real, I'm being serious ;-) We walked the boards for a bit, and then went to the Wharfside for dinner, and it was wonderful- ah, real seafood, it was beautiful. After having a grand time with Aunt Kate and Knight, we left for Aunt Laura's- got "lost" on the way out, but it was actually my subconscious telling me where the short-cut to 35 was ;-) Got to Aunt Laura and Uncle Rich's around 9:30, which was cool because they are cool :-D But we were pooped, so we crashed. End day 1.
On Monday, I woke up early and ran because I'm an idiot and thought I could actually maintain my running on vacation- ha- I was wrong! Got to see Sara before she went to school, and I really wish they lived closer, because she is so cool! She was teaching me German over breakfast- only the really awesome kids do that! Got ready for our day in Philly. Took the train into Old City- did all of that historic stuff (Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Constitution Center, etc.)- were very excited to see the Jew stuff and took pictures for Erin and Dan- played with a cow- kissed Abe (pictures to come...). Had a cheesesteak for lunch :-) and took the train back to Collingswood. Got in the car and then drove into the city to see all of the stuff we wouldn't necessarily have time to walk to or go inside and see, like the Philadelphia Museum of Art (which has a Dali exhibit now, sad day! I gotta go back to see that!), University of Pennsylvania campus (which I really envy...), etc. Went to Haddonfield for coffee. Then, drove back to Collingswood to get our stuff together- had dinner with the lovely Renner family before heading north to Aunt Lisa and Uncle Dave's. Once again, got there around 9:30ish and crashed. End day 2.
Got up, ate a wonderful breakfast prepared by Aunt Lisa, admired the baby's room (oh excitement!), packed up, and headed north again. Got to Honesdale and ate lunch at the diner. Walked downtown for awhile and checked out some of the shops. Were amazed by the friendly people- didn't feel like I was risking my life when I crossed the street- be amazed... Headed up into the mountains to Grams and Pops. Had snow. Lots. Three feet. Fun driving too :-D Brought our stuff inside, and then headed out to play. Walked to the top of the hill to get some pictures- worse than running- threw myself in the snow when I got to the top- quite a workout to run up a hill in three feet of snow... Came down, got the sled, headed back up again, sledded down. Had fun. Jessica and James went- they had fun too ::excitement:: Decided to go down a second time... Went down significantly faster than the first time... yelled... tried to stop... thrust my arms into the snow... was blinded by the resulting wave of snow that flew in my face... finally stopped... snow everywhere... up my sleeves... down my shirt... down my pants... Might was well have just fallen through ice on a frozen lake... Invigorating. Sad- couldn't really make snow balls, too fluffy. Another time. Ate an amazing home-cooked meal. Enjoyed some very fun conversation. Got tired. Crashed. End day 3.
Got up at 4. AM. Left for Hawley at 4:45. Got there. It was dark. Empty. COLD. Bus came right on time. Slept for a good part of it. Filled up pretty quick. Got to NYC around 8. Got coffee.. and a map ;-) Took the subway down around Soho. Saw Ground Zero. Forgot to mentally prepare myself for that one. Just walking down the block and there it was. Just a crater in the midst of giant skyscrapers. Overwhelmed with so many thoughts and feelings. Imagined what it must have been like to be on that very street on that very day. Terror like I will, most likely, never know. There were pictures of the twin towers, before and after, history, etc. What really got to me was looking through the fence and seeing two rusty iron beams in the shape of a cross. There was writing on it, but I couldn't make it out. Powerful. Kept walking to Battery Park. Saw the Statue of Liberty. Took the Subway up to Midtown. Had pizza for lunch- real pizza- oh how nice it is when you don't even have to refer to it as NY style- that's all they've got! Did a little shopping. Jessica and I are going back... when we have more time... and money... Hit Saks, and I think I suffered separation anxiety when I left. That is one cool place. Oh how I could have maxed out every single one of my credit cards- points to me for not buying a single thing- wow. Saw Phantom of the Opera. It was INCREDIBLE! The effects were so amazing, and the music, oh wow, the music... I loved it! We went to a cafe for dinner- splurged on dessert (which became a trend for the rest of the trip... not good...). Got back on the bus to go back to Hawley around 7. Was thoroughly amused by Jessica's semi-conscious state (the difference between light and dark? dinner buffets and Jimmy Buffett? wow, that was one crazy kid...) Got back to Grams and Pops's around 10:30. Crashed. End day 4.
Got up, ate breakfast with Grams and Pops, left around 9:30. Stopped back in Philly to go to the Artists' House Gallery to see Aunt Laura's stuff- she's so cool! Was really impressed. Was reminded of why it wouldn't be a good idea for me to live in the city- I'm too friendly, and you're not supposed to be friendly, at least to guys who talk to you when you pass them on the street. Oh well. Enjoyed one last downtown walk before heading south. Got to Charlottesville around 5:30. Went to dinner with Kristin's aunt who is way cool. Came back to her house. Amused ourselves with the lack of intelligence of her dogs. Crashed. End day 5.
Got up. Rembered a funny dream about going downtown with the girls and some random guy and me being flirty or something ridiculous like that... Drove. Discovered that there is no longer any such thing as southern hospitality- it's more like southern anti-hospitality and northern cordialness (eh, something like that...). Got back to M'ville around 4. The end.
Pictures to come later. Perhaps more stories as I remember them. Sorta glad to be back, but not really. Ready for another road trip :-D
Listened to Tony Nolan's dating series in the car- all 5 cds- back to back. Good stuff, didn't agree with all of it, but good stuff nonetheless. Made me think about dating and other stuff. I've got a lot of changes to make. God's really convicted me about some things in my life that have got to be seriously changed. I'm ready for it though- tough, but necessary and for my own good.
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Colossians 3:17

No comments:
Post a Comment